Monday, April 10, 2023

Argentina

 Hey there guys! After a stunning trip around Venezuela, I'm here in beautiful Argentina! While I'm here, I'm going to be visiting a spectacular valley, hearing the story of a werewolf called Luison, and a cave with a rich history! Sit back and enjoy as I take you on a culture tour around Argentina!Argentina - Wikipedia

Argentina is a large South American country, the 8th largest in the world, that spans the majority of the southern part of the continent. With a population of over 46.5 million, this country is known for its landmarks, food & wine, tango and, especially as of late, soccer (or as they refer to it, football). It's capital is Buenos Aires, with large cities including Mendoza and the region of Patagonia.

Image result for map of argentina

With that starter information out the way, here's what I encountered in Argentina!


So first I went down part of what is known as Quebrada de Humahuaca. This path is the line of a major cultural route, known as the Camino Inca, along the valley of the Rio Grande. This beautiful trail is believed to have been a major trade route for the Inca Empire, seeming to have been in use for thousands of years.

 i-Cayafate-Quiaca | viajerosperrunos

This trail through the mountains and plains wasn't just used by the Inca, but used by many different groups living in the region. The area is a UNESCO site because of it's deep cultural impact to the people around it. Beyond that however, it is a truly breathtaking sight to behold.

Natural landscape at its finest! To think that thousands of years ago traders and suppliers had to make the journey across the region hundreds of times! Well, at least the view is fantastic.


After my trek across the trail (my feet are killing me, may I add! It's a real long one, and I only did a portion of it!), I headed to the most interesting site I've visited thus far. In the southern portion of Argentina, sitting in the Patagonia region, flows the Painted River, also known as the Rio Pinturas. Here in this region is what I'm most excited to see on my trip. Here near the Painted River is a cave with paintings that are thousands of years old

.Day 65 - Rio Pinturas, Argentina | m a r i u s | Flickr

Nearby here is the Cueva de las Manos. This means "Cave of the Hands" in English. It gets its name from the mysterious paintings of the outline of many human hands that can be found on its walls. There are also examples of animal and hunting scenes found on the walls. Thought to be created sometime between 13,000 years and 9,500 years ago, these paintings are important in showcasing the culture and history of prehistoric Latin American people. They help give us insight into where people were living, how long ago they lived there, and many of the images help us realize what kind of lives these people lead. They were hunter-gatherers, surviving in caves. 

If I'm being honest as well, there is something almost unsettling about the cave paintings. They have a quality that feels frightening in nature. What do they mean? What were they made for? Of course it's impossible to truly know the meaning behind them, however that can't stop us from making speculations. Maybe it is a way of keeping track of all those who lived there. Maybe those who accomplished something put their outline on the wall. Maybe it was used as a monument to the dead. The mystery behind them is part of the intrigue surrounding them. It is what fascinates me most about them.

Hilton Buenos Aires Hotel External Night View

After the mysterious Cueva de las Manos, I headed back to my hotel to unwind for the night. I was staying at the Hilton Buenos Aires. It is a beautiful hotel with a spa, restaurant, outdoor pool, and pet friendly rooms (for if you want to bring ol' Fido with you). I was chatting to some of the workers there, mostly local people. I talked to the concierge for a few when he wasn't busy about what it was like growing up here. I had asked him to tell me some stories he learned from growing up around here, and he told me the tale of Luison, the werewolf.Luison, the werewolf

"I was told this story by my grandmother some time ago. The Guarani people believe that the seventh son of any couple was cursed to become a werewolf. This was the same thing for Luison. Everything was completely fine until the Friday after the boy's thirteenth birthday. That was the night the werewolf began taking control, turning the boy into a beast at midnight on a night with a full moon. Until the dawn when the Luison became a boy again, he would hunt and prey on whatever came into his path. My grandmother always told me that he prayed on unbaptized babies and the flesh of people! She even said that he was able to infect others with his bite! Of course I think that last past may've been to scare me. 

Anyway, according to the legends, Luison was the son of an evil spirit and Kerana, a human woman. It was widely believed here too. It got to the point where the idea of this curse spread to even the seventh daughter of families. Parents would begin abandoning their seventh child, or worse. It got so bad that the Argentinian President in the early 1900's offered to adopt all seventh children so that people would believe the curse was over."

Well, that's truly a scary tale. It truly shows the power leaders have over people to get them to believe the curse was over. But it is interesting to know that many different places have similar myths to one another, but in a different way. Many cultures have the idea of a man turning into a beast, even multiple have a wolf specifically! However each culture still have their own belief centered around it, and that contrast and difference is just spectacular to hear about.


Well that's it for my time in Argentina! I had a blast here, and I recommend you come here too! On my next travels I'll be showing you some of the wonders of Africa, so stayed tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Singapore

Hello my friends! After I explored the Philippines, I'm heading over to a small country with a massive influence, Singapore! While I'...