Thursday, April 6, 2023

Mexico

        Hey there guys! I'm here in Mexico for some time, sharing with you the wonders of this amazing country! We're going to find some great places to go, and then I'll talk about some absolutely fascinating culture and folklore that can be found.


Mexico country profile - BBC News


        First, a bit of background information for those who may not know much about Mexico. Mexico is a Spanish speaking country in North America with a population of 126 million, the world's largest Spanish speaking population. The currency here is the Mexican Peso. You'll find here that your American money comes out to about 18 pesos per dollar.


    Now for the fun stuff! I went around Mexico seeing some of the interesting cultural sites and talking to locals learning the stories around the city. While in the country, I learned about folktales like La Llorona and El Cuco. I traveled to the wonders around the land such a Chichen Itza and the Palacio de Bellas Artes


On my first day in Mexico, I decided to visit one of the most popular sites in the country. This is even one of the most popular landmarks in the entire world. Considered one of the New Seven World Wonders, this truly fantastic sight is something to behold! I believe this temple, considered sacred by the Mayans, was used for rituals and as calendars. They built these designs of temple so that they could tell the date of their calendar using it! It's fascinating just how skilled designers and mathematicians the Mayans were. 

Enjoy Chichen Itza Mexico Tours | The Travel Current

The name Chichen Itza is for the Mayan city, with the site being just the ruins of it. The temple is the main landmark of the ruins, and is what it is most widely known for. It is believed by some that this temple was used as sacrifice. Along with that, Chichen Itza is home to an incredibly large skull wall.

Sport & Skullduggery at Chichén Itzá |

That probably isn't what you were imagining by a skull wall, was it.


After visiting Chichen Itza, I decided to head to Mexico City to find some locals to talk to.


I found myself in a wonderful restaurant in the heart of Mexico City. El Cardenal was its name. The food was absolutely fantastic. The staff was kind and the atmosphere was divine. If you ever find yourself in Mexico City, I would highly recommend coming to this restaurant.


That is all besides the point. The main reason I came to this place was to speak with some of the locals who've lived here for some time to understand a bit more about the culture and, especially, the folk lore.

I found an older gent sitting alone at a table, enjoying some sorbet. I made some small talk with him, told him about my blog, and asked him if he was willing to say a few words about the stories he was told as a child. This is what he had to say about La Llorona, the weeping woman.

"When I was a child, my grandmother told me stories of La Llorona. She warned me that if I ever heard a woman crying out in the night, to not go near. For it is only La Llorona searching for her children. You see, La Llorona is the ghost of a mother. She was said to have been the most beautiful woman in all the lands, determined to marry the handsomest man she could find. This woman marries a rich man, and with him she has two wonderful children. However one day, she sees her husband with another woman. This throws her into a fit of rage, and she drowns her children. Overcome by the guilt of what she did to her children, she drowns herself. However due to what she had done, she is not allowed to go on into the afterlife. She is forced to wander looking for her children in bodies of water. She cries out for her children to this day, her ghost haunting any body of water. We are taught not to go out at night, for if we run into La Llorona and her wailing self, we do not come back!"
La llorona - Municipio de Abasolo, Gto.
Chilling. Absolutely Chilling. Whether you believe this story to be real or not, doesn't matter. For here in Mexico, and many other Latin American countries, it is as real as can be. I thanked the gentleman for his time, and went on my way. Understanding the stories and culture this country has to offer is why I bring you all with me from place to place.

On my last stop here in Mexico, I wanted to talk about a significant culture sight right here in Mexico City. It is known as the Palacio de Bellas Artes and it is basically the Mexican equivalent to the Guggenheim or Lincoln Center. Some of the greatest paintings, murals, music acts and performances have been here at one point or another!

Bellas Artes 01.jpg

This wonderful building is also known as the Cathedral of Art. It is a UNESCO culture site, and it includes a theater for performances. One of the most popular performances held here is the Ballet Folklórico de México Compania Nacional de Opera de Bellas Artes, a show held twice a week that shows both pre and post Hispanic dance of Mexico. Including such spectacles as Aztec ritual dances, agricultural dances, and wedding celebration dances, this fantastic show is accompanied by traditional musicians! I got the chance to see one of the beautiful shows, and I must say, it was phenomenal. I couldn't have wished for a better experience. 


I explored the Palacio and saw some of the most amazing art I've seen to date. They have many murals from some of the most famous Mexican painters, such as "The Man at the Crossroads" by Diego Rivera. Muralism is extremely popular in Mexico and was a very prominent form of art in the country.






That ends my fantastic journey through the beautiful country of Mexico! We looked at some of the most amazing cultural spots in the country and had a great conversation with one of the locals on a story from the country. I absolutely loved every second of it, and I'm excited to see what Venezuela has in store for me, as that's where I'm heading next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Singapore

Hello my friends! After I explored the Philippines, I'm heading over to a small country with a massive influence, Singapore! While I'...